Why is MIL education important?
The need for Media and Information Literacy education is critical in the digital age. Children and young people are especially vulnerable to dis- and misinformation, hate speech, propaganda and so-called “fake news” online. They need knowledge and skills in order to:
• Take advantage of new and exciting opportunities
• Fact-check and evaluate media and information.
• Protect themselves from harmful media content.
• Be safe online.
• Protect their privacy and the privacy of others.
• Create and publish their own content in a responsible and ethical manner.
• Be able to contribute to a democratic society.